United Way of Kenosha County
Location: Kenosha County (in-person)
Position Type: Full Time
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
The Finance Manager is responsible for financial accountability, strong internal controls and accurate reporting of United Way of Kenosha County’s funds and activities. The Finance Manager will work collaboratively with the CEO and be a business partner that helps provide strategic leadership on key agency decisions. The Finance Manager will oversee the financial aspects of the nonprofit organization, including but not limited to donor pledges, grants, AR/AP, maintain accounts, ledgers and reporting systems, assist in organizational and program budgeting, prepare financial reports, and maintain compliance with all accounting standards, government regulations and tax laws. The Finance Manager maintains accounting manuals to ensure compliance with fiscal procedures and controls to ensure that financial objectives, goals and organizational growth are met in accordance with organizational policies of the Board of Directors, United Way Worldwide and all government regulations.
- Enforcement of strong and adequate internal controls
- Analyze general ledger accounts and prepare adjusting entries
- Maintain financial manuals (chart of accounts, accounting policies, etc.)
- Process accurate and timely accounts payable, accounts receivable, pledge receivables, general ledger, fixed assets and payroll functions, and back reconciliations
- Maintain fixed assets and depreciation schedule
- Preparation of supporting documents and draft statements for annual audit and 990 and serve as liaison with Audit/Tax firm(s)
- Preparation of annual budget and monitoring actual performance to the budget
- Work collaboratively with CEO and staff on annual budgeting process and monitoring of yearly performance
Reporting and Data Analysis:
- Prepare timely financial quarterly and annual reporting and transaction processing
- Prepare financial and management reports as requested
- Provide oversight and prepare financial reports related to received grants
- Prepare reports for annual fundraising campaigns
- Prepare reports for oversight of the Community Investment Committee
- Prepare required reports for United Way Worldwide and United Way of Wisconsin
- Oversee the Finance and Audit Committees, with assistance from the CEO, and ensure that each committee fulfills their responsibilities to the Board of Directors
- Assist the CEO in the oversight and tracking of staff benefits (health, dental, paid time off, life insurance, STD, LTD)
- Assist CEO in tracking and recording bi-weekly payroll
Education and Work Experience
- BA/BS or higher in accounting or finance
- 3 or more years of related financial management experience, preferable in the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial management, accounting skills and GAAP and FASB
- Demonstrated interpersonal and leadership skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong working knowledge of the principles of accounting and financial management
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft 365
- Demonstrated proficiency in CRM software (ANDAR preferred)
Duties require planning, organizing, and performing a variety of duties applying a wide range of procedures and rules. Duties require attention to detail, high degree of accuracy, reliability, timeliness, alertness, and use of judgment. Also requires writing ability, creativity, and concentration. Access to and use of confidential data where discretion/sensitivity is of utmost importance. Mature judgment and confidence.
Frequently required to walk, sit, talk, and hear. Occasionally required to stand, reach, stoop, and handle and/or lift and up to 25 pounds. Must be able to check reports for completion and accuracy and to retrieve and transmit information. Use of general office environment equipment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Benefits and other compensation:
Estimated annual salary $50,000-60,000. Benefits include health insurance, paid time off, holidays, and matching 403b.
The statements made herein are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list.
Submit a cover letter* and resume to Carolynn Friesch, Chief Executive Officer of United Way of Kenosha County, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write the following: Application for UWKC Finance Manager position. Applications submitted by Friday, September 30, 2022, will be given priority, and additional applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
*Cover letter should address the following competencies:
a. Work collaboratively with management and staff and provide strategic leadership on key financial decisions.
b. Demonstrate your knowledge of financial management, accounting skills and GAAP and FASB.